Found this snippet interesting –
Soldiers do not March in step when going across bridges because they could set up a vibration which could be sufficient to knock the bridge down.
Scouts at Jambo discovered that they could “swing” the bridge laterally by walking instep across it. It is actually quite disconcerting and gives on the same awkward gait associated with sea-legs when venturing ashore.
Meeting at Council to elicit feedback from the 2013 Jambo at the Summit. Our new Council Executive would like to know from the adult leadership who attended, what went well, what could be improved, what changes might be made.
feedback, thoughts and ideas regarding the Jamboree experience
- How did it go overall?
- We made it down & back without losing any one or having to send anyone home early. The transportation issues were exacerbated by the appearance of no one being in charge of the operation – either on the way down or on the return. The midnight stop was a travesty – no one knew whether it was a scheduled rest stop or driver change or what. Kids were on & off the buses – many didn’t get a snack or a chance to stretch their legs.
- I lost over 25 pounds in preparation for the event.
- What were the challenges locally that we need to address?
- Scholarships for 3rd Asst Scoutmasters
- What are your impressions of the Summit?
- The Summit was awesome. It was pretty much as I expected. Attendees were warned that it would be a high adventure experience and would be conducted on foot. And it was!
- It was huge! And a challenge to get around – the maps were less than helpful. There could have been better signage, too.
- How well organized was the Jamboree nationally?
- The kindest remark I heard was that it was a 10-day seminar in Crisis Management. The weather didn’t help. I also heard wonderment expressed by a local – “What did you guys expect? It’s like this here every July!”
- What needs to be changed, addressed or improved upon?
- Improve ground transportation at Summit?
- The Council patch was very well done, but not ready on time….
- The Online Registration at National must have been done by the same guys who set up Healthcare.gov. Terrible User Experience.
- What can we do to make the Jamboree experience better for our Scouts and leaders for the next Jamboree?
- Meet deadlines. It was discouraging not to have the promised Jambo regalia on time. And the Jambo Hankies were a tremendous disappointment.
- Who should be part of the Jamboree leadership?
- The Council Jambo Committee did a good job. I don’t know how much support they received from WPC or BSA
- When should we start the planning process for 2017?
- What about the WSJ in Japan 2015? July 28 – August 8, 2015, Yamaguchi, JP.
- Place a representative on the National Planning team?
With 1-2 inches of rain forecast, our problem child decided it would e the perfect day for laundry. If the sun doesn’t shine, he’ll be bringing a sack of wet clothing home to mom.